A word for blowing air into baby's tummy to make him(her) laugh

  • Petr Primakov

    How do you call the action when you press your mouth against baby's tummy and blow the air to make the baby laugh?

  • Answers
  • cornbread ninja 麵包忍者

    That is typically referred to as blowing raspberries:

    Blowing a raspberry, strawberry or making a Bronx cheer is to make a noise signifying derision, real or feigned. It is made by placing the tongue between the lips and blowing to produce a sound similar to flatulence. In the terminology of phonetics, this sound can be described as an unvoiced linguolabial trill. It is never used in human language phonemically (e.g., to be used as a building block of words), but the sound is widely used across human cultures.

    Here is a Google search as they relate to baby tummies.

  • Kevin

    Zerbert is what I have always heard it called. Several sites of mixed authority confirm.



  • J.R.

    Although there's evidence provided for "zerbert" and "blowing raspberries" providing the meaning you're looking for, it's worth mentioning that in many places, there isn't a particular word or expression for this except for blowing on a baby's belly.

    If I (from California, US West Coast) went up to my sister and was like, "I'm gonna give you a zerbert," she'd probably think that I had a piece of candy or dish of sherbet (frozen non-dairy dessert, kind of like ice cream) to give her. On the other hand, if I said, "I'm going to blow raspberries," she'd then expect me to stick my tongue out at her and blow.

    (of note that the urbandictionary link's #4 definition provides the etymology of zerbert, which would be of use to read.)

    So, be advised, if you're going to use either of the above phrases – unless you qualify them with additional words like "on the baby's tummy" – you're just as likely to get blank stares or misunderstanding as you are to be understood. There's a big difference between "blowing raspberries" and "blowing raspberries on a baby's belly."

  • Dan Neely

    Growing up in western Pennsylvania we normally called it a "belly fart", because of it's similarity to the fartesque noise you could make by blowing against the palms of your hand.

  • Benjamin Wade

    My family and I have always called it "belly-busting."

  • Related Question

    Word for "rush of air"
  • The English Chicken

    What do you call the rush of air you experience when riding on a motorcycle or in a speed boat?

    I want to say breeze, but that is caused by the wind, not the movement of the vehicle.

    Update: I am not looking for a technical term. I want to express this:

    Riding my Harley, I felt the NOUN in my hair.

  • Related Answers
  • Hellion

    As far as I know, there is no distinction made between air motion caused by natural means, air motion caused by mechanical means, and air motion experienced due to the observer being in motion while the air stands still; they're all "wind" or "breeze" or "gale" or "gust" or "zephyr" or "scirocco" or whatever other word suits the velocity of the air.

    I stuck my head out the window to feel the cool breeze.

    I relaxed in the gentle breeze from the fan.

    I hate riding my motorcycle with a helmet on because it means I can't feel the wind in my hair.

  • F'x

    In aerodynamic and aeronautics, it is called the relative wind. I don't know if there exist a non-technical to describe it.

  • CJM

    I'd prefer rush of wind...

    I know you are looking for one word, but I don't see a perfect one-word alternative, and rush of wind (not air) fits perfectly in poetic/emotional terms.

  • chesca

    Riding my Harley, I could feel the wind whipping in my hair.

  • user5472

    Certainly with airplanes you have the term "slipstream" to refer to the air coming from the propeller(s) and following the craft.

  • Andre Stechert

    I would suggest the word "gust".